Humanimals
44 Rankeilor Street
Dunedin South, New Zealand, 9012

reception@humanimals.co.nz
www.humanimals.co.nz
Phone: 03 456 2345
Banner image

In February we told you about Humanimals veterinary nurse Krystle Kelly, gaining the international qualification to become a Certified Canine Rehabiliative Practitioner through the prestigious University of Tennessee. 

We are delighted to annouce the launch of a new service at Humanimals.

Rehabilitation for animals is becoming increasingly recognised for being an important adjunct therapy to veterinary treatment. Here at Humanimals we can help with your pets recovery from surgery and injury, injury prevention and improve mobility, help alleviate pain with pain management and enhance quality of life. We will listen to you, and with your vets input, develop an individual program for your pet.  Support for you and your pet is available through-out the rehabilitation process.

Treatments:

  • Massage
  • Stretching
  • Strengthening exercises
  • Balance and proprioception
  • Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
  • Laser therapy
  • Advise on assistive devices and home care
  • Home exercise programs
  • Weight loss management
closeup wealsey physio

Weasley receiving rehabilitative physical therapy

Contents of this newsletter

01  Small Dogs Meeting

02  Chocolate - it's no good for dogs

03  Vomiting and when to worry

04  Buzzing about

05  Keeping a rabbit as a pet

01 Small Dogs Meeting
small dog park

Rotary Park in Dunedin

Are you the owner of a small dog? Did you know that in Australia and the USA, small dogs have the option of visiting small dog ONLY public dog parks for socialisation and exercise?


One of our clients is  lobbying the council to ask them to allocate a small dog ONLY park in Dunedin  - for dogs under 8kg weight. If you click on the link below it will take you to a small dog play group site. Please join. There is no charge. The first meeting was held Sunday 22nd March at Rotary Park. This is not a small dog only park but council officers were in attendance to monitor support for the idea.

If you were unable to attend, please join anyway to keep abreast of developments and show your support for having a choice. 
http://www.meetup.com/small_dogs/

02 Chocolate - it's no good for dogs
SetWidth170-chocolate

Keep ALL chocolate out of paw's reach

SetWidth170-hotcross-buns2

Sultanas and raisins are also off limits for dogs so keep hot cross buns out of reach

The Easter Bunny is on his way and about to make his deliveries. This is a great time to remind you to keep ALL chocolate out of paw's reach.

Our clever canines are designed to seek out any morsel of chocolate - big or small, wrapped or unwrapped!

The problem ingredient for our pooches is the derivative of caffeine in chocolate (called theobromine). Unfortunately dogs have trouble digesting theobromine and ingestion lead to: 

  • Hyperactivity
  • Tremors, panting and a racing heart
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Seizures

Theobromine ingestion can be fatal in some dogs. 

As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is - so keep that cooking chocolate safely hidden away.

It's best to call us immediately if your dog has ingested ANY amount of  chocolate. In most cases, if we are able to make your dog vomit we can prevent any nasty side effects. 

Don't forget - sultanas and raisins can cause acute kidney problems in dogs so you'll also need to keep hot cross buns off the menu this Easter.

03 Vomiting and when to worry
SetWidth170-saddog
SetWidth170-Bluebellonthephone2

If you are worried about your pet, phone us for advice

There are many causes of vomiting - and overindulging on chocolate is just one of them.

Other causes include pancreatitis, an intestinal obstruction from a bone or a piece of string (especially in cats), liver or kidney disease, or endocrine diseases such as diabetes.

If your pet has had a good old technicolor yawn, what should you do?

Assuming your pet is bright and otherwise well after a one-off vomit, keep a close eye on her over the next 24 hours. It's best to withhold food for a few hours (gastric rest) and offer fluids for re-hydration. Providing a bland diet (steamed chicken and rice) for a few days may be all she needs.

More worrying is a pet that has had more than one vomit in a short period of time and seems quiet and lethargic. 

As a guide, you should call us for advice if your pet:

  • Vomits more than once
  • Seems lethargic or quieter than usual
  • Has diarrhoea or isn't producing faeces
  • Has been losing weight recently
  • Has lost her appetite
  • Ingested something she shouldn't - toxins, rubbish or human food scraps

So if your pet has the tummy wobbles, or you have a hunch that something's not quite right, you should phone us. We are always happy to help and examine your pet for piece of mind. 

04 Buzzing about
SetWidth170-Beeon-calyx935
SetWidth170-beesting2

Magnified image of the stinger of a bee

SetWidth170-dogflowers

Dogs and cats love to investigate everything with their noses, mouths and paws including buzzing insects! This makes the nose, mouth and paws prime spots for bee and wasp stings.

In most cases, there will be mild swelling and tenderness at the sting site. You should try remove the tiny stinger as quickly as possible to stop the venom spreading (although this can be hard in the fur!).

You can scrape the stinger out with a credit card. This is better than using your fingers or tweezers as the venom sac may rupture and release more irritating venom.

Apply a cold compress (damp washcloth) to reduce swelling. If your pet is licking the area constantly or is in pain, phone us for an appointment and we will give your pet an antihistamine injection.

When does your pet need emergency care?

Seek veterinary advice immediately if your dog is having trouble breathing (this sometimes occurs if the swelling is inside the mouth or near the trachea) or seems to be in pain. 

Some dogs and cats may be severely allergic to bee stings. These pets may go into anaphylactic shock (and even die) if they don’t receive immediate veterinary attention.

Look out for:

  • vomiting within 5-10 minutes post sting
  • pale coloured gums
  • collapse

These pets need urgent care with intravenous fluids and steroid injections. They will be even more sensitive to stings in the future and need careful veterinary management.

To help prevent bee stings, keep your pet away from flowering trees and plants (especially ground cover). Don't leave fallen fruit, meat and uneaten pet food around and cover rubbish and compost bins - all of these are attractive to European wasps.

05 Keeping a rabbit as a pet
SetWidth170-Fluffywhitebunnyrabbit

An Angora rabbit needs regular grooming

SetWidth170-rabbit

Fresh hay is essential for rabbit health

Rabbits are not only good at delivering Easter eggs, they also make fantastic pets! They are great company and can be very cuddly. Rabbits are very clever and can be toilet trained, walk on a lead and play games. Their cheeky antics are amusing and enjoyable to watch.

There are many different breeds of rabbits and each has their own unique personality and behaviour traits. Before choosing a rabbit it's best to do some research into what would suit your lifestyle. For example larger breeds need more space and long haired breeds require a lot of grooming. Talk to us for more information. 

It's a common misconception that rabbits are a low maintenance pet. They require a high level of care, proper housing and good environmental enrichment to live a happy life. Rabbits are highly social animals and should be kept with other rabbits as companions. Depending on their breed, rabbits can live for approximately 6-12 years.

Of utmost importance is diet and dental care. It is absolutely essential to pet rabbits a diet high in fibre (lots of fresh, good quality oaten hay is best). This helps keep their teeth healthy and maintain good gut function. A veterinary check up (at least yearly) is very important to assess dental health and vaccinate against the potentially fatal Calicivirus.  

You can find out more about rabbit care by visiting this website

Did you know that it is illegal to keep rabbits as pets in Queensland? It is thought the rabbits that escape or those that are released by their owners into the wild pose a threat to the environment and agricultural industries. However there is a campaign to allow domestic rabbits as long as they are microchipped and desexed.